This is one of my favorite soups and it’s super easy to make. You can prepare everything in a few minutes and add to a crock pot or cook in a large pot (which will require more time). You don’t need fancy spices or ingredients either. The split peas and veggie broth give it a rich color. Whatever you can’t eat in a few days can be easily frozen for later use. This soup is delicious with rice crackers or toast.
Nicole’s Veggie Soup
- Chopped celery (5-6 stalks)
- Chopped carrots (1 small bag)
- 2 onions chopped
- ½ bag frozen peas
- ½ cup dry split peas (you can buy this at your local health food store in the bulk bin area)
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 1 TBL dried thyme
- optional: cayenne pepper
- 12-16 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup water (more if you like your soup thinner)
- optional: 1 bay leaf
- optional: ¼ cup quinoa
- optional: few cloves crushed garlic
Add all ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low for 8+ hours or on high for 4-6 hours. If you’re cooking in a large pot, bring everything to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 60+ minutes covered, until veggies are tender.
Season to your taste; I usually do a few taste tests towards the end and add more seasoning if necessary. I like things spicy so I use cayenne pepper but this is entirely optional.