The short answer is yes. Not only can high-quality oils help induce relaxation, but they may have therapeutic effects on the body. Tons of studies have demonstrated their effectiveness on various illnesses.
Aside from the promising research that’s been done in recent decades, many people just prefer using natural oils instead of chemical aromatherapy and oil products. Many commercial air fresheners and supplements contain artificial ingredients that are toxic. 100% oils don’t contain fillers; it’s really important to research the company you’re purchasing the oils from because there are lots of them out there and not all sell quality stuff. Getting back to basics and using what nature’s provided for us certainly seems to make sense in some instances.
What Can I Do with Oils?
- Add to bath. Lavender oil is a great one to try.
- Get a portable diffuser for your office to relax & restore throughout the day. The mist is also great for your skin!
- Use them to make your own soaps/perfumes.
- Depending on the oil, some (e.g. oregano, frankincense, rosemary, etc.) may be healing to the skin/body.
- Buy an aromatherapy diffuser and add moisture and natural fragrance to any room.
- Add to unscented massage oil to create your favorite blend.
- If you’re a Reiki practitioner or Yoga Instructor (like me :0)), use them in your practice, with the client’s permission of course. Very few people have reactions to 100% pure oils. You just have to watch out for synthetic blends.
There are So Many Brands…Who to Trust? I’ve purchased most of my oils from natural food stores over the years but I recently discovered dōTERRA and purchased a starter kit which I’m in love with. I’ve ingested some of the oils and use others with an aromatherapy diffuser at home and at the office. They’re the best! There are other reputable companies out there as well as this blogger and certified Aromatherapist has some great recommendations. Definitely take the time to do your own research. If you’re interested in dōTERRA, I can speak from personal experience that although they’re a multi-level-marketing company, their oils seem to be great quality. If you’re on a tight budget and can’t afford their oils, I’d recommend Fabulous Frannie. They sell their oils on Etsy, Amazon.com and their website. I just ordered an essential oil set for under $40. A little goes a long way so they will last quite a while.
- Breathe blend, from dōTERRA (I have horrible sinuses and this helps when I use at night in my diffuser).
- Essential Oils and Aromatherapy in Modern Healing
- Juniper and Wound Healing
- Immunological and Psychological Benefits of Aromatherapy Massage
- Tea Tree Oil – A Review of Antiomicrobial and other Medicinal Properties